TUNE IN: APPLE PODCASTS | STITCHER | SPOTIFY
As a secondary school teacher, you need to be well-prepared and manage time effectively. In a recent podcast series, the 4S system was introduced to help you as a multiple-prep teacher.
The last “S”, sustain, focuses on ensuring you take care of your well-being and keep yourself in the teaching profession in the long run. This blog post delves into the importance of sustaining oneself as a multiple-prep teacher and tips for achieving it.
Importance of Sustaining Yourself as a Multiple Prep Teacher
As a multiple-prep teacher, you may have a lot of different courses to teach, and this can be overwhelming. However, sustaining yourself as a teacher will help you to maintain a healthy balance between work and life.
To sustain yourself as a teacher means to maintain your energy, motivation, and focus so that you can keep teaching and grow professionally.
The 4S System
The 4S system is a tool to help you as a teacher manage your work effectively. It involves setting priorities, sorting out schedules, systemizing tasks and sustaining oneself through self-care and well-being. The 4S system can help for the upcoming school year even during the summer.
Set in Order
The first “S” involves setting priorities. This means deciding which tasks to focus on first and which ones can wait.
The second “S” involves scheduling. You can create a schedule that allows you to make the best use of your time. This can include planning for lesson prep, grading, and administrative tasks.
The third “S” is about systemizing your work to make it more efficient. This can involve organizing resources and simplifying your work process.
Finally, the fourth “S” is all about sustaining yourself as a teacher through self-care and well-being.
This is crucial for multiple-prep teachers, who have a lot of responsibilities to juggle. To sustain yourself as a teacher, you need to maintain your energy and motivation so that you can stay engaged in your work.
Tips for Sustaining Yourself as a Multiple Prep Teacher
- Prioritize Rest – Rest is a crucial element for sustaining oneself as a teacher. Make sure you get at least 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Set a routine for going to bed and waking up, and avoid working late into the night.
- Set Boundaries – Setting boundaries is essential for your mental health and well-being. You can set boundaries by scheduling breaks, limiting the amount of work you do outside of school, and delegating tasks when possible.
- Be Mindful – Mindfulness can help you stay focused, calm, and motivated. You can practice mindfulness by taking breaks throughout the day, focusing on your breath, and being present in the moment.
- Engage in Self-Care Activities – Self-care activities are essential for maintaining your well-being. You can engage in activities such as exercise, reading, cooking, or spending time with loved ones to help you relax and recharge.
Being a multiple-prep teacher can be overwhelming. But it is possible to sustain yourself in the profession. The 4S System provides a useful tool for teachers to manage their workload effectively. Incorporating tips such as prioritizing rest, setting boundaries, being mindful, and engaging in self-care activities can help you maintain your energy and motivation as a teacher.
- Tips for Planning and Preparing to Teach a New Course Next School Year
- Enjoy a Guilt-Free Summer by Doing These 3 Things Before the School Year Ends
- Follow Me on Instagram
- Connect with me on LinkedIn
- Find me on Facebook